Thursday, September 4, 2008

In which I get some work done.

I have started bringing my iPod to the office and I have found that it greatly increases my productivity. There seems to be some music that is more helpful in that department than others. Jimmie Rodgers is better for productivity than the Foo Fighters, for example. Lucinda Williams is better than KT Tunstall.

The productivity boosts don't seem to be related to the tempo of the music, or genre. When I get tired of being a lawyer I will get a grant and try to figure out what music actually makes people work better. Maybe it varies from profession to profession? Maybe what makes lawyers research and write briefs faster won't help accountants review financial records any more efficiently. Maybe a journalist will get a bigger efficiency boost from the (pretty good) new CD by The Roots than I do.

Speaking of hip-hop, the other day I found a Wu-Tang Clan onesie. As the third trimester nears, we have started getting gifts of baby clothes from people. We have yet to purchase a single baby-thing, and yet already the lad has more clothing than I do. (My favorite thus far: a tiny shirt that says "Lock up your daughters!" on it. Chip off the old block.) I found a place that makes onesies out of old rock concert T-shirts. Can you imagine dressing your baby in an old Foreigner World Tour 1982 shirt? Me, too. But I can't really justify buying one when we are getting crates of clothing from all over the world.

(Seriously. We've gotten stuff from Cynthia's friends in Hong Kong, Brussels, and LA. I needed to go online to translate the French on the Belgian outfits. Most of them are accompanied by notes to my bride, the former partygirl, that say something like "I cannot believe that YOU are reproducing.")

Anyhow, my point -- to the extent that I have one -- is that if I keep up the iPod in the office, I might actually update this site more frequently.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Some researchers think that studying a language, and other memory-intensive subjects, is easier when listening to music. On the other hand, learning to dance with music in the background actually complicates the matter for some people.